Helianthemum dying!

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)August 6, 2011

Has anyone had any experience with Helianthemum? I bought two for the new rock (boulder) garden. One is "Wisley Pink" and the other is "Dazzler" (Red). Both bloomed great earlier this season (in late spring) and have grown considerably. Suddenly, in the past few days, the red one has all but dried up! The pink is just fine and thriving. There were no signs or no warning at all, no insects or anything else that explains it. Any ideas as to what happened are welcome. All other plants in the same area a fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitegarden(Z5 MA)

Could the drought be affecting it? They are a very drought-tolerant plant, but only once established. Sounds like you planted it this year.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 9:19AM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I did plant it this spring, but along with all the other things in the new rock garden, including the other Helianthemum "Wisley Pink". I also have been watering the whole area very well throughout the season and everything else is fine. That's what's baffling. I gave it a good push into the soil yesterday to be sure to re-establish good root contact and gave it a diluted feeding and another good watering. Today it's been raining a lot too. We'll see how it goes.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 12:29PM
whitegarden(Z5 MA)

Maybe try a transplant solution or rooting stimulator. It's possible the roots hadn't made good contact.

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 2:02PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Do you have voles? Mine have been quite active this summer. :(
Almost every plant I have seen starting to look a bit droopy, when I pushed on the soil around it, it was clear they had been tunneling in the root area. So I have done quite a bit of stomping areas of garden and then watering things back in. (I think I need a cat . . . )

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 6:32PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I've never seen voles, nor have any other plants been having any problems. I do think it's possible that the soil has settled down between the large boulders, and maybe has washed away from under the plant a bit. This was a huge project and the boulders are big - 3 to 4 feet or so - and they had fill behind them so it very easily could have settled some. There used to be a bank there going from the upper garden grade down to the lawn and house level, but I had that dug back and now two tiers of boulders make the grade change more interesting, as well as giving me lots of areas to plant creeping and trailing plants.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops
Yes, I know you think they're just cute little white...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Historic winter of 2014-2015---Damage report
I thought we could start a thread to outline the casualties...
rockman50
NH Spring Plant Swap
NH Plant Swap on Sunday June 5th is only 4 weeks away...
annie_nh
Annie's NH June swap
Hello Everyone Annie will be having her annual swap...
blaketaylore
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™