Hardy Fuchsia pruning

leena1947September 23, 2013

I have a two-year old hardy fuchsia (I think it is a Sharpitor) that grew three five-foot, one inch thick canes this year. It's blooming prolifically. How do I prune it next spring? Does it bloom on new or old wood?
Thank you for any advise.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

New, as you can see looking at it right now - if it bloomed on old wood only there wouldn't have been any flowers on all the growth made since spring.

If too arborescent for you cut down low early next spring. I wouldn't cut it back half way as that won't look good afterward - start it over or leave it as it is.

If there's a few bigger stems you don't like but the rest is acceptable just cut those and leave the rest.

Next you have to see what is left in the spring, if it gets cold enough most of the top may go back on its own anyway.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 12:12AM
gardengal48

Hardy fuchsias tend to leaf out rather late. It is generally recommended not to prune them back hard until you see the new growth budding well into midspring.

Bookmark   September 24, 2013 at 2:51PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I would not prune them right now. Wait til spring.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 4:07AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

You leave the top on for the winter, then cut or don't cut when you see new growth coming - and can tell if any of the held-over growth died back. Since the one you have is an F. magellanica it may hold most of the top for multiple years in a row - it all depends on how cold it gets each year - on your planting site.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 10:35PM
leena1947

Thank you all for great advice! I'll leave them be till next spring and wait till I see new growth. I would like the fuchsia to stay about the size it is now. It really looks like a three-stemmed little tree!

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™