Still planting

old_dirt(5b)October 10, 2013

I am still planting new plants, relocating large mature clumps and dividing some. Any one see a problem with that here in zone 5? How long can in keep on before it is detrimental to next years growth or even plant survival?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

I've planted as late as November without any problems. Ideally you want time for the plant to grow roots before the ground freezes and 6 weeks would be ideal. But the plants are probably better off in the ground than above it, except if they are so small that they might heave out of the ground during freeze thaw cycles. You could prevent that by mulching with evergreen branches (Old Christmas tree perhaps). That will help keep the ground shaded and frozen.

Steve

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 6:07AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I think my order with Casita Azul arrives today. So they will need potting up and tucking in for the winter too. No heaving around here though. I'm expecting them to be dormant or nearly so.

I got another Fragrant Bouquet, which is such a major player among the fragrant hosta. And then two new ones, Gentle Spirit and Machete.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 10:37AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i wish i had a nickle ...

in ground freeze areas .. the ONLY ISSUE is frost/freeze heave....

big plants dont heave.. plant until the ground freezes ...

anything that might heave due to small size.. needs to be mulched.. so they dont pop out of the ground...

if we get full snow cover until march.. you will have no problems ...

if none... sun on soil causing the freeze/thaw cycle to pop lttle ones out of the ground....

forward nickle to my paypal.. lol..

ken

ps: when a hosta is dormant.... there is no root growth.. unlike a tree lets say .... so the shear weight better hold it in the ground ...

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 12:40PM
Eleven(Metro Detroit 6A)

Still planting here too, just put Wylde Green Cream in the ground yesterday. I'm also waiting on Queen of the Seas to start going dormant before I move it. Most of my hostas are still going strong, but it finally drooped a little yesterday.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
hostanista
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Hosta Trek fans … we lost Mr. Spock
May he live long and prosper in the garden … Miss...
bragu_DSM 5
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™