moving Sib irises for swap

deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)August 17, 2009

So I'm already very excited about a PLANT SWAP woo hoo! I'm reading up on how to transplant my purple Sib irises and yellow daylilies for the swap. I read that Sib irises must be kept moist and transplanted right away, unlike the tough bearded iris rhizomes which can wait a while. Is that true? How do you get your Sib irises and daylilies safely to the swap?

And, I have so many many common ditch lilies (Tiger lilies) on the rare chance that somebody actually NEEDS them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)

You know, I just thought of something obvious. I guess I could put them in containers with soil. Flash of genius?

Bookmark   August 17, 2009 at 7:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

Hi deanna-
Here's an easy one: Sib irises tend to be pretty 'tough' to divide in my yard. What I mean is I need one of those flat shovels to cut through the mass to actually take a chunk to a swap. What I do: Take that chunk out, forget "potting it up" and simply put the chunk (don't shake the dirt off) into a plastic hannaford bag. They are just as easy to tote to the swap, the dirt is contained in the bag for your friend to take it home in, and as long as you double-it up, you can certainly water it if you REALLY need to if you dig it more than a couple days in advance. I totally don't worry about irises and daylilies surviving out of the ground for even days at a time. They're tough.

I do a lot of my digging the day before, and a sometimes I do get fancy and pot things up, but some stuff is just too big, or I'm just too lazy, so out come the Hannaford bags (they're also a little tougher than a WM bag).

Oh, and fwiw, we all know what fall plants look like when they come to the swap. If it's no longer "pretty," don't give it a second thought- we get the whole "dead-looking-but-not-really-dead-plant thang."

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 4:58PM
More Discussions
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™