Non-Hardy agave care?

salt_creepOctober 15, 2008

Hello,

I sent a couple of agave pups to a friend who lives in North Bend, WA and now we're wondering how they'll cope when winter hits. They're probably not hardy, but if given protection from the rain could they remain outside in a sheltered spot, or should they be brought indoors for the winter? Will they still need a lot of light if they're kept cool and unwatered?

Thanks,

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Do you know what species? Many agave are more cold hardy than one would expect, growing naturally in high mountain desert areas that can get darn cold in winter. What they don't like is our winter wet. If hardy, stashing somewhere out of the weather is suggested, like a covered porch or carport. If not hardy, then they need to be brought indoors or stored in areas that will reliably remain above their winter minimum temperature requirements. They need very little attention indoors during winter - indirect light is fine and a minimum of moisture. Just enough to keep them from drying out completely.

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 8:09AM
salt_creep

Thanks! The mother plants of both were purchased unlabeled but one is probably A. desmetina 'Variegata' and the other A. potatorum.

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 11:02AM
ian_wa(Sequim)

If you're fairly certain that's what you have, I'd bring them indoors before we have any real frost. A. potatorum is hardy to about the mid 20s and A. dessemetiana can even be damaged in very light frosts.

Bookmark   October 15, 2008 at 1:39PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Someplace bright, cool and dry with no serious frost. Enclosed sunporch, south-facing garage window, lightly heated greenhouse...

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 12:10PM
salt_creep

Thanks, all!

Ken

Bookmark   October 21, 2008 at 1:30AM
salt_creep

Just a follow up... both agaves are still doing fine and growing! They spend the winters indoors with no light or water, come out in spring looking a bit shriveled but they plump up quickly and the potatorum is now producing offsets!

Ken

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™