UMass Extension Landscape Message August 8, 2014

claireplymouth z6b coastal MAAugust 8, 2014

UMass Extension Landscape Message August 8, 2014

"New labels - The EPA recently introduced a label change for pesticides used outdoors that contain one or more of the neonicotinoids to protect bees. You may see this on labels of products that you use. A "Bee Hazard" warning and icon has generally been required to be included in the Environmental Hazards section of the label:

Bee label icon

The EPA bee toxicity groupings and label statements are as follows:

High (H) - Bee acute toxicity rating: LD50 = 2 micrograms/bee or less. The label has the following statement: "This product is highly toxic to bees and other pollinating insects exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it to drift to blooming crops or weeds if bees or other pollinating insects are visiting the treatment area." If the residues phrase is not present, this indicates that the pesticide does not show extended residual toxicity.

Moderate (M) - Product contains any active ingredient(s) with acute LD50 of greater than 2 micrograms/bee, but less than 11 micrograms/bee. Statement: "This product is moderately toxic to bees and other pollinating insects exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. Do not apply this product if bees or other pollinating insects are visiting the treatment area."

Low (L) - All others. No bee or pollinating insect caution required."

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

The current Landscape Message is posted (August 22, 2014). Time to slide down the page.

Claire

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
What are your favorite fruit/vegetable varieties for New England?
I'm curious as to which varieties of each fruit and...
laschai
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™