Perennial bed of Shallots

richardorOctober 29, 2010

Does anyone have experience with growing a bed of shallots for multiple years? I have grown a bed of bunching onions in the same location for 10+ years and love the way I can harvest them year round here in the Willamette Valley. I typically harvest less than 1/2 of the bunching onions in any year and the bed thrives and continues to grow in size. Since shallots multiply in a similar way, I suspect growing shallots in a permanent bed might be successful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorir_2010

Experience no sorry, but i have a good friend who plants onions and shallots routinely and is expert at leeks, a great food. She has a huge community plot and tries to collect seed/divisions from her spot in a very sunny spot. Are shallots a cold or temperate-temp crop? In your area I would suggest collecting the divisions or however that works, for use the next year. storing in near or above -freezing temp. what is your wintertime low? sry so ignorant about this plant--mostly up here we just leave Garlic in for a wintertime crop!! Anyway my suggestion for a fun crop is the walking onions. they reseed if stem bends over but you can control this by harvesting the heads. Thanks for listening!

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 11:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

shallots are a lot like garlic. You can grow them a perennial clumps just fine. Good luck.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™