Flag Poles?

pixie_louAugust 8, 2014

Does anybody have a vertical flag pole? As opposed to one of those house mounted angle ones. Thoughts? Comments? In particular, does it look stupid if it doesn't have a flag on it? Since flag etiquette dictates that you cannot keep a flag out at night unless it is illuminated - and what are the chances that I will diligently put the flag out every morning? And since this will be in front of the Master bedroom window, I will not keep the flag illuminated all night.

The landscapers are coming Monday to redo all of our hard scape in the front. New stairs, relocated front walk way, new retaining wall, new lamp post, laser level the front yard. So I'm busily digging up the white garden to clear the work area. Once they are done, the white garden will expand by ~8 feet. And I thought a flag pole might look nice off to the side of this newly expanded garden.

I've always wanted to have a vertical flag pole. But now that the opportunity presents itself, I'm thinking logically about it. Trying to decide if it really is a good idea.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corunum z6 CT(6)

My folks had one and it became exactly what you suspicion. When the flag flew, it was very nice. When it hung limply, not as good. Never flew in the winter. When it didn't go outside, we had a white pole. Follow your gut.
Jane

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:17AM
diggingthedirt

Yes, follow your gut!

Flag poles look lovely in front of a town hall or a public library, but when I see one in front of a house, I often wonder ... are the residents cheating on their taxes, or not bothering to vote, or bribing politicians, and then trying to make up for it by flying a big flag?

LOL, sorry if that's not helpful! I like the little poles that mount on a bracket and can be removed whenever there's no flag. Much less maintenance, too!

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 4:48PM
pixie_lou

Jane - thank you for bringing up the point that I would also need to have a wind machine installed to make the flag look nice!

Digging - how did you know I cheat on my taxes and bribe politicians? ;')

Thank you both for helping my realize that this is not going to become the idyllic vision in my head.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
Splayed boxwoods
The heavy snow took a tool on my boxwoods. The branches...
mrowe63
Annie's NH June swap
Hello Everyone Annie will be having her annual swap...
blaketaylore
Web design resources: blogs & designer websites
I have two garden-related confessions to make today...
NHBabs
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Sponsored Products
9' Octagon Market Olive Color Polyester Umbrella w/Hardwood Pole, Manual Lift, a
Fifthroom.com
LSU Tigers Banner Flag
$17.99 | zulily
Window Accents Riverhead Linen Chenille Embroidered Rod Pocket Panel Pair - 29-4
$39.00 | Hayneedle
Black s: Remote Control Black Metal 72 In. 5025-01
$72.09 | Home Depot
White Accent Lamp: Raya 18 in. Gloss White with Blue and Green Stripe Lamp 21028
$50.40 | Home Depot
Tension-mount Shower Butler
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Modern Fashion Globe-pole Bright red Floor Lamp with Black Chrome Base
ParrotUncle
Lutron | Maestro IR- Single Pole or Multi-Location Fan Only Control
$142.70 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™