Yay, snow!

hostanistaNovember 24, 2012

One month till Christams Eve and hostas get their first blanket layer today!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon 6a SE MA

Oh, okay, this was a couple of years ago.

Jon

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:12AM
hostanista

Nice pics Jon! I've got one of those too (from a couple of years ago....) But that's cheating. Only 2012-2013 snow counts!

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 10:22AM
bernd ny zone5

No snow here yet, it was into 52 today and sunny. Usually we have 1 ft of snow for 3 1/2 months, hope it will be little this winter as last.
Bernd

Bookmark   November 24, 2012 at 3:48PM
hostaLes(5)

No show here. The drought continues. Normal precipitation for the month of November is something like 3.6". Our month to date total this November is 0.31". With 5 days to go it doesn't look like we will make it, does it!

In the past 12 days we have had one recordable rain that measured only 0.06". That would hardly cover the bottom of the cup on my weather station. I have a good one, as home stations normally go, that is auto-draining and resets itself once the data is on record. I don't even know if it is working. Any retained water would havw evaporated between rain events this year.

Snow would have to be done the old way - with a tape measure. You find 10 spots that don't appear to be drifted or wind swept, measure each and 'total/10=snowfall'. Tape measures can't measure 1 snowflake. I think the accurate weather stations melt the snow, measure the water and then multiply by the "k" factor of norm inches of snow/ inch of water.

Do we have any meteorologists lurking here on GW HF?

Les

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:16AM
Jon 6a SE MA

Rainfall here in MA has been well above normal. Reservoirs, ponds, lakes and streams are full to overflowing. Strangely the two largest water reservoirs in the state (Quabbin and New Bedford, Taunton reservoirs in Lakeville) the while listed as 88.4 and 88.8 percent full (above normal being anything from 76 to 90 percent full) show up as 'normal' (25 percent to 75 percent full) or disappear in the USGA data. If Winter follows this pattern we will be up to our chins in snow until April.

Hopefully the precipitation will be spread around a little more equitably next year and I hope against hope that weather will return to being reported factually as a science.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: MA reservoir reports

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
First Victim
Had put a few precautionary pellets about a while ago...
frugaljon z8 UK
Help for new hostas
Hallo everybody.I 'm from Greece and I would like to...
anthi_gr
Hd are you kidding?
I just got an email from Home Depot pushing hosta plants...
Jon 6a SE MA
YEA PIPS!!!!!!
Oh, wait a minute, those are tulips. : {
Jon 6a SE MA
Hosta choice - comments please
Thinking about either Humpback Whale or Blue Angel...
mxk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™