sod with daisies?

anita9(8 Seattle)October 25, 2011

I want to put in a 4'x8' patch of grass in my outdoor space and thought I'd use sod since it's such a small area. But when I have used grass seed in the past I used a mix that had these cute double daisies in it.

So I was wondering if anyone

(a) can recommend a place to pick up a small batch of sod near Seattle,

(b) knows anywhere that sells sod with daisies or violets mixed in, or

(c) has any other ideas for how to make my tiny patch of lawn as fussy and cute as possible (for my dog to crap on.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

I got individual rolls of sod from Home Depot. I think any similar big box store might have sod sold by the roll, but when I was there a couple weeks ago I got the last two live pieces. You may have to wait til spring. Most sod farms have a minimum order, they don't sell individual rolls.

Never seen the 'flowery meade' you want in sod form. Install the sod, then seed or plug in what you want. The daisies you're talking about can be bought as seed, they're Bellis perennis, english daisy. I like Viola labradorica in lawns instead of Viola odorata, the plants are smaller and bloom longer and don't get all cut off when you mow. Species crocus are nice too, they're earlier and shorter than regular crocus, so they bloom before the grass needs mowing. Ditto for the early dwarf narcissus. White clover is nice in lawns too, buy as seed. And of course dandelions! they'll come in on their own.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 11:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anita9(8 Seattle)

Thank you so much for the ideas!

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™