Question ( for Steve ?) re. HOTYs

jan_on zone 5bNovember 7, 2012

Steve - In both the posts for 'Silver Bay' and 'Cathedral Windows' you commented that they would not likely be HOTYs for a very long time. 'Cathedral Windows'

is being punished for its family tree if I understand correctly ?? And 'Silver Bay'?? Just wondering.

Jan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Jan,

Those are just my opinions. The HOTY's are chosen by a vote of the membership of the American Hosta Growers Association. The plants chosen must be "good garden plants in all a regions of the country, are widely available and in sufficient supply and retail for about $15.00 in the year of selection." Essentially it's a marketing device designed to sell more plants.

That's why I think a plant like Cathedral Windows has little chance to be HOTY. It's too similar to Stained Glass and Guacamole. I could be wrong. But in the last two years we have seen the AHGA choose plants like Rainforest Sunrise and especially Abiqua Drinking Gourd instead of those plants that the AHS judges have considered better garden performers.

The Benedict Medal is only five years old, but I think it's a great measure of garden performance of a Hosta. Looking at the Award of Merit winners (sort of like Silver Medalists) gives us a chance to discuss and view a list of Hostas that have been judged to be outstanding garden performers and perhaps speculate on which of these will be the next Benedict Medal winner.

Steve

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Where to buy hostas
I am compiling a list of hosta vendors for the Dixie...
mcneillsr
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
Designer Genes
We still have 2 feet of snow cover here, although it...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
got pots ...
after a week in the 40s and 50s.. i can finally see...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Advice for a Newbie Hosta Gardener
This past fall I planted four Blue Angel hostas on...
samnsarah
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™