Freedom of speech

inkognitoApril 16, 2012

means what exactly? We often hear about freedom of speech being a cornerstone of democracy but how does it work in practice? "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." is the rallying cry. When we hear a controversial point of view or one we don't agree with it is an opportunity to examine it and/or challenge it, censoring or ignoring is not a democratic response.

Drones are used extensively in the tribal areas of Pakistan, Obama says that there has been very little collateral damage when he talks about it at all. A lawyer representing 80 civilians killed by US drones was denied entry to the US where he was due to attend a civil rights gathering. Partial freedom is an oxymoron.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marshallz10(z9-10 CA)

We no longer have freedom of speech, contrary to the articles of the First Amendment. Government does limit expressions of speech and regulates assembly and limits protests, and controls media through licensing and other means of regulating content and operation. So the question is moot.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:06AM
rob333

Let's kill... the Patriot Act.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:20AM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

A lawyer representing 80 civilians killed by US drones was denied entry to the US where he was due to attend a civil rights gathering.

I don't approve of this action by the Obama Administration, but there's a history of visa denials related to the political views of the applicant, and her/his ability to embarrass the current administration, Democratic or Republican. In other words, SOP for decades and decades. Ronald Reagan's State Department denied visas for anyone who could credibly oppose its Central America policy of support for death squads. Visas have been denied for Cuban artists coming to the U.S. to perform.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:23AM
inkognito

Nancy: he is suing the CIA on behalf of his (dead) clients, do you think that is politically motivated or is it that it will show Obama in a bad light, which IS political.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 10:54AM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Ink, the CIA is to be protected at all costs - by Republican and Democratic administrations. If the lawyer were allowed entry, there would be political he11 to pay in this election year from the hawks who are against the withdrawal of troops in 2014. Plus I would imagine certain information might come out that would put the activities of the CIA/US military in an even worse light. That would cause problems here and in Pakistan with public opinion regarding the current occupation of Afghanistan and cooperation from the Pakistan military.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Servants of God Arrested 2015
It's early still in the year but time to post some...
labrea_gw
One last issue for me with new format
How do I turn off the "say thank you" at...
duluthinbloomz4
Does free speech apply
I find her texts disgusting but should she be tried...
labrea_gw
Walmart raises minimum for wage for hourly employees
This was announced several days ago and I though it...
chase_gw
Bibi's speech tomorrow
Are you planning on watching? I sure am!
ogrose_tx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™