what to do now with tomato plants when frost hit them?

natalija_gardenerOctober 11, 2009

I have a really good tomato crop - the "Early girl" and "Heirloom". But yesterday the frost touched the plants and all the leaves look horrible, and now what do I do? Because there is a lot of tomatoes still ripening and the whethter during the day is fine - a lot of sun. Should I just leave them like that and cover them at night or should I take them in the garage and hang them there for them to continue to ripen?

Or did the frost destroyed them and they will stop ripening?

Why in the world did not I cover them yesterday:-(

It is my first garden year, help, please!

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The borderline temperature for tomato ripening and quality is about 45 degrees. Once the temperature goes below this you should have already harvested or taken the plant inside. It is similar to putting fresh tomatoes in the refrigerator, the cold ruins the texture. Take everything inside; temperatures will continue to drop and more rain is likely--rain hastens splitting of non-green tomatoes.

Under ideal October conditions (maybe once every ten years), tomatoes can be left outside until late October, but this year the month has been on the cool side. Our tomatoes were brought in shortly after Labor Day, and we are down to the last half-dozen to eat.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™