Bent oak tree with suckers pruning help

hemnancy(z8 PNW)October 17, 2013

I have a Quercus garryana that was overrun by 30' Himalayan blackberries vines and bent over, it is now 15-20' tall and still bent over, but I just cleared out more blackberries and found it had suckered at the base, some nice straight suckers, one 6' tall, so maybe I can just let them grow and eventually cut down the bent tree, but I don't know if I should trim off all the suckers but the tall one. Also should I leave the bent tree until the sucker is larger so the tree can continue to store energy in the roots, or would the sucker do better with the big tree cut down?

The oak is in the foreground close to the plastic, the tree is on the left and can be seen bending to the right, and the suckers are just to the right of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)

Imagine a majestic spreading oak and think about how many years and all the various conditions it survived through to reach that state WITHOUT human assistance. That bent tree may/or may not reach the "majestic state" I would leave things alone for at least several years and just keep the blackberries beat back.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 7:48PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I like the bent look myself. You're not growing timber.
Look at all the twisted and gnarled Garry Oaks in and around Victoria harbour.
Suckers begone!
Mike

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 9:21PM
tanowicki

Garry oaks have a tendency towards being a bit bent over at times before straightening out some. It's how they end up all gnarled and distinct. Mine has a bit of a lean to it and it hasn't been beset by blackberries.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™