Wanna turn my yellow Hick's Yew green

goofyisgreen(Z8 PacNW)October 28, 2011

I bought what I learned was a "Hick's Yew" (columnar), about 4 feet tall from a blowout sale from a nursery that was relocating, at bargain price.

When I bought it, it was root-bound, wrapped in a burlap ball in a "clay" type of soil. The needles are well-developed, firmly attached. It's a nice-looking plant EXCEPT it is yellow, rather than green (I originally thought it was a golden yew).

It looks, and acts healthy. Just seeking some advice, now that it's planted, about transforming that yellowish tinge to the more appropriate deep green of the Hick's Yew.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Monrovia describes Hick's as "glossy dark green." So one thought is wrong label.

Please post images so we can see what's going on.

If you need help with that, look here:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0513322013993.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post images

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:02PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Discolored yews are common here. It will always mean there is something wrong with the plant. Maybe yours just needs to be fertilized (with nitrogen) or maybe it has root rot. As a rule yews need excellent drainage, although I was just in an area (Diablo Lake) where there are Pacific yews growing just above a flood zone.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 1:39PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

it has a magnesium deficiency. As always, you do need to get a pretty good idea what the specific problem is before you can expect your response to solve it.

You could try applying a granular fertilizer formulated and sold for use on evergreen trees and shrubs to see if there is any greening. Do it now, before the soil is chilled by winter cold and nitrogen becomes less available.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 1:42PM
Evergreen-shrubs.com

When your shrubs turn yellow it means it needs fertilizer, but if the needles are falling off or getting tan, your shrub is a gone. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hicks Yew

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 4:56AM
More Discussions
richard walden grape
Does any one know of a source for Richard Walden grape...
robert_2007
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™