Great Plant Pick

Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)October 11, 2010

Today I finally noticed that the conspicuously variegated Phyllostachys bamboos I've been walking past for months while shopping Molbak's are the sensational 'Richard Haubrich' cultivar. This has to be the most spectacular hardy bamboo on the market, its leaves sometimes nearly all white.

They've had a row of the much less variegated P. bambusoides 'Albovariegata' right next to them, I read one of the tags for that one once and was left mistakenly thinking they were all this same kind.

Apart from the specialness of this plant what made it a great pick is bamboos are currently 30% off there, which in the case of this item translates into a reduction of nearly 30 dollars. Doubly special!

When I shopped for this on the internet when first aware of it some years ago I think the lowest price I saw was over 300 dollars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Richard Haubrich'

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grrrnthumb(z8 WA)

Holy moly! That's gorgeous, thanks for the info.
- Tom

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 4:09AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Molbak's also had this, but I am already growing what I assume to be the 'I' form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Comparing different forms of Jiuzhaigou

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 1:46PM
ian_wa(Sequim)

So, did you buy one? Who's producing them?

I have Jiuzhaigou I as well - but I've sort of neglected it. the last form described on that page sounds cool.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 10:26PM

Yes: I "picked" it. Although I'm not planning to re-sell it. Since it's destined for Camano Island and I've already had two other forms of timber bamboo get cold damage there this Precious will be going into the greenhouse for the winter.

The winter that may make some of us give up, if predictions are borne out.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 11:32PM

I was told there is an enthusiastic grower in Oregon that provided these. The current price at Molbak's is so good, as far as it goes that anyone in the area and interested in the variety should just get one of theirs. They are in 5 gallon pots, with canes maybe around 4' high - perhaps more.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 11:37PM
ian_wa(Sequim)

I've been kind of phasing out bamboos since I moved to Sequim. I had 99 kinds at one point when I lived on Bainbridge Island. I might have to leave a spot for this one, but I'm not buying it until I'm ready to plant it.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 12:49PM

Apparently the one set of Molbak Fargesia are this one, today I went out there for the cider tasting and took a closer look at the labels on this bamboo. They had "2" after the name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fargesia sp. 'Jiuzhaigou' II

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™