Woodchuck vanished - hibernating?

carol6ma_7ari(zones 6 & 7a)September 9, 2013

The big overfed (or pregnant, who knows?) woodchuck/hedgehog (depending on where you learned its name) seen daily munching away on the grass about 150 ft. downhill from my fenced veg. garden, is no longer seen, as of Labor Day weekend.

I'm either happy or nervous: has it died during the last very heavy rainstorm? or is it sensing the cold weather, and has gone to sleep until next spring? Or is it tunneling toward my garden right now?

Does anyone know about the autumn habits of woodchucks?

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Not hibernating yet (too early), and not drowned (tunnelers dig so that they don't drown in heavy rain.). Also not pregnant since young are born in the spring, but it is putting on fat so it can hibernate.

Perhaps it wants a better winter den site or perhaps it found a preferred food souce high in calories, or perhaps it was killed by a car or predator. You would know if it were eating your garden as they are not neat eaters, shredding plants as they go. Personally, I would be celebrating if a woodchuck disappeared from my locale!

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™