Blue Passion vine

jujustad(7B-8A)October 5, 2010

I am planting my first passion Vine and would like to know from someone that has one if I should plant it with a root barrier. I think that I am at the edge of it's growth area but I don't want another garden thug...currently fighting vinca thank you very much! Also, should I cover it with something this first winter? Any other passion vine advice would be most appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Plant on sunny south-facing wall, with netting or trellis to twine on. If horrified at prospect of possible underground runners then root barrier might be a good idea. Mulch after planting to minimize frost penetration and maximize prospect of successful establishment, mulching of beds should be routine anyway.

Intense winter is forecast, perhaps worst in over 50 years. If plant fails this time try again later. Wait to write off and discard until well into summer, new top growth from roots may be tardy and feeblish at first.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 10:31AM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I had one several years under a deck, facing south, it did well blooming but didn't fruit. A couple of winters ago it didn't make it.

P. incarnata, Maypop, named apparently because it dies to the roots and pops out in May, is hardier than P caerulea and can have an edible fruit.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 6:23PM
jujustad(7B-8A)

Thanks so much for the info! I hope to plant it this weekend.

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™