Catalpa bignonioides Aurea

sweetpea_path(Z8 WA maritime)October 31, 2009

...so for my husband's birthday, we planted this tree (he wanted one baaahhhd). The one we planted is only 2 feet tall, OMG!!! But it's "fast growing", he says. I found a very good description of this tree over at the Great Plant Picks website but I'd like some firsthand feedback - anyone grow/have/know something about this tree? Please, tell me more about it.

Many thanks,

Sweetpea

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalpa bignonioides Aurea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

I have one and it is a beautiful tree. The foliage and flowers are beautiful. I got mine from a mail order catalog so it was tiny. It is 9 years old and only 5' tall. It has grown slow for me. I have it in a crowed flower bed in front of an arborvitae hedge. It was always getting shaded out by the perennials and the cedar hedge made for dry growing conditions. I was planning on cutting it back every year, but it was always so small I never did. It's finally taller than the surrounding perennials and finally starting to grow. It flowered for the first time this year. The flowers look like impatiens. I am afraid to cut it back now as it took 9 years for it to get this big for me. Here is a close up of the flowers. Karen

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 12:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you pollard it you won't get flowers. However, it's not a dwarf: one in Poland was 42' tall by 1973; another, in Port Coquitlam was 51' across in 1994.

Bookmark   November 1, 2009 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Silk Tassel: where to buy?
I saw one of these in Seattle a while back and, now...
clevelje
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Pot Filler
What do you use for the bottom half of a large pot...
lorrainehowe28
soil stablization
I live in the mountains of southern oregon where it...
Shaun Brink
Need help with identifying the greens in my garden.
Hi I moved to a house in Washington state and i found...
wonryu132
Sponsored Products
James Martin Furniture Mykonos 60 in. Single Vanity - Cinnamon - 550-V60S-CIN
Hayneedle
James Martin Furniture Tacoma 60 in. Double Vanity - Sienna with Silver - 350-V6
Hayneedle
James Martin Furniture Mykonos 60 in. Double Vanity - Cinnamon - 550-V60D-CIN
Hayneedle
Catalpa Leaf Watering Can
$29.99 | zulily
Steve Silver Rebecca 5 Piece Wine Storage Counter Height Dining Table Set - Wood
$598.00 | Hayneedle
The Barclay Organic Style Dining Arm Chair
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™