Danged raccoons!!!!

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)October 2, 2011

Went out to the orchard this afternoon and found another young fruit tree broken and all of the fruit gone. I already lost a plum tree the same way. Given the spindliness of the branches, I'm sure it was raccoons. What pests! On the good side, they left my pears alone and they have been absolutely wonderful, huge, juicy and very tasty. There wasn't a large crop, it was too cold when the flowers were on the trees but the limited number of fruit meant that the pears were very large. We had our best apple trees pruned so once again, didn't have a big crop but the ones that are there are just great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

They don't bother our garden much but the destruction in my ponds and water gardens is so bad that I've decided to dump out all of my containers and give up. I've got an electric fence around the fish pond a door on the greenhouse and metal covers over three ponds in front and that will be it. I'm just done.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 10:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
briergardener_gw

This year i placed marshmallows dusted with cayenne pepper under my grapes as soon as i saw that raccoons were visiting.
Some of marshmallows disappered next morning.
Not sure because of this or some other reason, raccoons were gone and we were able to keep grapes till they fully ripe.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™