Will purple heucheras take full sun?

flowerfan2(z8/ WA)October 11, 2008

I would like to plant some purple/red leaved mounding plants that go dormant in the winter in a full sun bed. Would huecheras do ok in full sun, or do they have to have shade? Any suggestions if huecheras won't work? I do have some purple plantains that do ok in full sun. I have tried a purple leaf salvia in full sun and it has not done well. What are your experiences with huechera in full sun in the PNW? Thanks. Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knotz(8/PNW SWWA)

Some of mine will take part sun, but really don't like the full afternoon sun...I planted a CanCan and a Green Spice that will get mostly sun next year...We'll see how that goes...But I think Palace Purple will go just about anywhere...Maybe someone else knows??

Bookmark   October 11, 2008 at 11:32PM
gardengal48

As long as soil conditions are good and they receive adequate watering, most any heuchera will grow well here in full sun. In fact, with the exception of the chartreuse and yellow cultivars which would prefer a bit of afternoon shade, they tend to grow and color up better in full sun, especially the deep purple cultivars that can lose color in too much shade. Remember, PNW sun is not nearly as intense as it is in much of the rest of the country.

I grow a couple dozen different cultivars of heucheras and most of mine receive considerable sun. Good soil and sufficient water seems to be the key for their success and longevity. Dan Heims of Terra Nova Nursery, responsible for the introduction of scores of new heucheras in a rainbow of colors, recommends full to part sun for virtually all cultivars.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 3:21AM
flowerfan2(z8/ WA)

Thanks Gardengal and knotz. I will plant them out in full sun today. I have great Puyallup valley soil and I will give them extra water in the summer, so it sounds like they will do very well there. Thanks again. Karen

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
charleney
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™