Grass seed suggestions

dwyerkg(6 massachusetts)September 30, 2010

Anyone have any good full sun grass seed for a small front lawn that just got some topsoil? All answers are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

I just buy the basic Scotts Sun and Shade mix, and using seeding fertilizer. But you could choose a Sun mix. They also sell grass seed/fertilizer combos - which might be worthwhile depending on the square footage you need to plant.

I tend to go to a smaller hardware store (Aubuchon's) and ask for advice. They seem to be more knowledgeable than the people I see at Home Dept or Lowes.

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 1:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB(5A/MA)

read the fine print well and make sure the % of weed seed is the lowest of what they sell (which is usually the most expensive).

Scotts sells various grades of seed mix so you have to read each label to see what you get. I think I get one called Scotts Premium, but they are always changing the names around so hard to say exactly which.

Around here, seed mixes of rye and creeping fescue are typical. Bluegrass is good for full sun, but does need more water and fertilizer. In a sunny mix, you will probably see a higher percentage of Bluegrass.

For small patching areas, I like to mix my seed with some of those paper mulch pellets that have fertilizer in them already. For a large area, that may not be practical. Lowe's sells bags of it. the name starts with "Greenview".

Bookmark   October 1, 2010 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™