Ornamental and No Mow Lawn grasses

hemnancy(z8 PNW)October 23, 2013

I think it's getting a little late in fall to sow these, but what do you think about sowing the No Mow Lawn grasses from Prairie Nursery at this point? The saleswoman I talked to there thought I could but the temps are supposed to stay above 55*F for a month and I don't know that I can hope for that.

I'm also interested in growing Sporobolus heterolepis - Prairie Dropseed, and Bouteloua curtipendula - Sideoats Grama. I'm not sure if they actually would do well here, and also if it is too late in the fall to sow them outdoors as well. I could wait until after frost so they would stay dormant until spring, or try winter-sowing some in containers, or start some by planting them in pots then chilling them a couple of months in the refrigerator. Any opinions or experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
George Three LLC

i have had bad luck establishing lawns from seed this late. the lower temperatures lead to bad germination.

in my experience, mid to late september is best, although you have to be on top of watering.

before ordering your seed, you might want to try giving sunmark seeds a call. they have a lot of interesting alternative lawn mixes that are formulated for the northwest.

prairie nursery does not share what seed is actually IN their mix. which sort of bugs me.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunmark seeds

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
charleney
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™