lemon tree

rocketwomenOctober 20, 2005

I would like to grow a lemon tree, am not sure which type to buy and if in fact I can grow one in the northwest that will produce. I have an olive tree in a pot which does very well so maybe there is hope. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzannesks(z 7 WA.)

rocket..yes you can most definatrly grow a lemon tree in the NW. I live in Enumclaw Wa. and I have several Citrus tree's.I have (2) Lemons & Lime & Cara Cara Orange & Rio Red Grapefruit & Satsuma Mandarin & Honey Murcott Tangerine & a few Kumquats.I grow them in my greenhouses that I keep on the cool side.But many people grow them in theur homes here also.As long as you have a south facing window that gets several hours a day of light your good to go! And you keep the inside temperature around 65 degree's inside. For this you'll most definately want a dwarf citrus for container growing.And after a few years they produce well.I would buy a (2 to 3) year old dwarf Lemon tree. And this way you'll possibly have some fruit the following year. I buy my Citrus from Four Winds Growers in California. They sell dwarf citrus.Their site is very informative also.If you'd like to view them they are at:www.fourwindsgrowers.com ***Suzanne

Bookmark   October 21, 2005 at 8:37AM
newgeneral(z8WA)

I have grown citrus for years. The trees stay in my unheated greenhouse/sunroom in the winter, and go outside in the summer. There is a citrus forum on Gardenweb that can be really helpful. It is not unusual for local nurseries to carry a few citrus plants. I live north, and have purchased from Bakerview in Bellingham, and Christiansons in the Skagit Valley. I have also purchased from Four Winds my mail. I currently have a minneola tangelo, an improved meyer lemon and a lime. BTW, I also am now growing a few banana trees! Citrus are so fun to grow. In fruit or flower almost all the time, they rewarding. And it is pretty great to be able to pick a lemon off your own tree when you need one.

One piece of advice: When your plants are indoors you should mist them often. Spider mites are a big problem, but they are reluctant to establish themselves on plants that get wet. If you do get an infestation, forget the pyrethrin sprays -- hose your plants off regularly.

Good luck!

Bookmark   October 24, 2005 at 10:02PM
melodiek(9/southca)

YAHOO. planning to move from So. Cal. to bellingham, wa. We have 3 orange trees, lemons, limes, grapefruit, peach, and plum trees---didn't sound like you could grow them in bellingham---I now have hope!! I currently, have about 100 plants in pots--may be a litttlllle hard to move all of them. THANK YOU

Bookmark   November 1, 2005 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™