overwintering brugmansia and tropical hibiscus

mcube(zone 5)September 19, 2009

I saw some posts in other forums about this but I want to get the take of fellow new england gardeners on this.

I have overwintered my brug by keeping it in the basement. No leaves were left after a few weeks and i watered it only couple of times over the winter. I brought it out in spring but it didnt too terribly well this year. It has leaves on it but no flowers. I am not sure if I did anything wrong but I want to make sure that they flower next season.

I have never overwintered my tropical hibiscus. Do I follow the same procedure?

It wont be possible for me to keep them near a south facing window inside the house.

What method do you folks follow and how successful have you been with these tropical beauties?

m^3

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloud_9(z5 CT)

mcube - My brug usually goes down into the basement also. I try to bring stuff up as early in the Spring as I can though. This year, because of my move, they were in a sunny floor-to-ceiling window by mid-February and were blooming by the time they went outside! Do you feed your brugs consistently? That might be a reason for no blooms if you don't.

Bookmark   September 19, 2009 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mcube(zone 5)

cloud9, I did feed my brug this summer but I did not bring it out till mid-may. It probably did not have enough time to begin blooming. I will start fertilizing it in spring and give it light this year and see if that works.

The hibiscus is putting on a show right now and I am resisting the temptation to bring it inside this early.

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™