Moving a poppy?

pixie_louSeptember 12, 2013

Is this the right time of year to transplant a poppy? I've never had success moving them before so any hints would be appreciated. Right now it's in one of my front beds. But the peonies in front have grown and the poppy doesn't get enough sun. I thought I lost the plant this year - it appeared to die off in June - but I'm seeing new growth on it now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I have moved oriental poppies in August and September in the past, since they are mostly dormant now. Never had a problem. If it's some other type, then I have no experience, but I'm sure someone here will help.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 1:54PM
defrost49

The Victory Garden book I have recommends moving when they are dormant like Bill said. The year I was 16, my grandfather and I took a trip to visit relatives. I had gotten my license in July so it was probably August. My mother had not been able to grow poppies and the relative had a poppy she didn't want. I brought it home in a coffee can and it flourished. I have a friend who wants a poppy I have and I need to remember to dig it up for her before it gets much later.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 2:26PM
pixie_lou

Maybe the problem is that I've tried to move them in the spring. I'll try moving it this weekend. The worst that can happen is it will not survive. But it's not going to flower again in its current location so I might as well try.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015
The Great Backyard Bird Count Feb 13-16, 2015 About Claire...
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™