Garden programs, Fairfield/New Haven Cty, CT

diggerdee zone 6 CTSeptember 5, 2009

I posted this info in my original thread asking for help with library gardening programs, but that thread seems dead now, so I wanted to list the information again, in case anyone is interested.

The Plumb Memorial Library in Shelton, CT is presenting a year-long series of gardening talks. The first two talks are listed below:

A Christmas Eve Salad; Extending the season with cold frames

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 @ 7:00PM

Master Gardener Matt Wage discusses extending your gardening season into fall through the use of cold frames. He will cover the types and uses of cold frames and low tunnels; microclimates and siting your cold frame; and cold-hardy vegetables.

Color in the Gray Days of Winter; Forcing bulbs for winter bloom

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 @ 7:00PM

Kate Jamison of Gilbertie's Herbs in Easton visits the Plumb Memorial Library to lead a talk on forcing bulbs for winter bloom. Learn what bulbs are suitable, how to pot them up, and how to give them a cold treatment for early, indoor bloom. Hands-on workshop.

If you would like to attend either of these talks, please call the Plumb Library (203-924-1580) to register. You can visit our website, (www.plumblibrary.org) but it is undergoing changes at the moment and is unfortunately not very helpful. Hopefully it will be fully functional within a week or so, but registration needs to be done by phone or in person anyway. All programs are free and open to the public.

Keep an eye out - there are some other great programs in the works. Local foods, gardening with natives, gardening to attract birds & bees, etc., sensible garden design, tropicals, winter-sowing, selecting shrubs and trees - these and other topics of interest are being planned for future programs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treeskate(6a Hartford CT)

Glad to see you found someone to talk about forcing bulbs! I hope your series is a huge success! Thanks for letting us know about it.

Bookmark   September 13, 2009 at 6:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

Hi Treeskate. Thanks for your good wishes. I think I may need them, lol, since as of yet we are not getting much interest in the programs. Oh well, we do what we can, lol. Thanks!

:)
Dee

Bookmark   September 15, 2009 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
What happened to the SEARCH button?
I know I have another birthday coming and my eyes are...
moliep
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Web design resources: blogs & designer websites
I have two garden-related confessions to make today...
NHBabs
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Veranda Cream/Terracotta 6 ft.
Home Depot
Teakwood 5 Position Folding Chair
Signature Hardware
Varaluz | Masquerade 1 Light Teardrop Mini Pendant Light
$195.00 | YLighting
Como Gardens Classic Orange Red and Gold Stripes 18 x 18 Satin Pillow
$129.95 | Bellacor
Fat Cat Statue
Grandin Road
Orange Bird Glow-in-the-Dark Garden Stake
$12.99 | zulily
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Botanical