mail order

old_dirt(5b)November 11, 2013

I am planning to make a couple mail orders this winter. Do the mail order companies ship at a requested time or at their own time?

If they ship at my requested time, when would you recommend to have them shipped to zone 5? I would like to plant them in the ground at the earliest possible time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Most will ship on the date of your request. If you want to put them in the ground right away, then have them shipped after your last frost date. You will have to look that up locally. For me it's May 15. It might be Memorial Day or later for you. That date is usually available through a county or state extension service.

BTW, you can always store Hostas in water. Look at the picture below. This is how plants are displayed for sale in China. Notice that the roots are in water, but the crown is not.

Steve

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:24PM
jan_on zone 5b

What a fascinating way to sell plants. I wonder why they do that?
Jan

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 6:57PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if you order from say... naylor.. in z8 PNW .... and ask for early delivery.. they will send them in Feb or march..

what do you plan to do in MI .. pick ax that permafrost to plant them ???

also.. if you waited til ground thaw around 4/1 .. sticking a z8 plant in cold soil.. MIGHT lead to rot ...

order them for around 4/1 and have pots waiting.. and keep them in the garage ....

they can go in the ground 6/1 .... after all FROST/FREEZE POTENTIAL IS GONE IN MI...

ken

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 7:05PM
More Discussions
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
HOSTAS TOXIC TO DOGS (and cats too)
I just discovered hostas are toxic to dogs. How did...
hostanista
Always trying something new !
Well, if all your prime planting spots are full.. You...
leafwatcher
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™