German Statice - information request

SCPearson(5 NE CT)September 6, 2012

Does anyone grow German Statice? I'd love to hear from someone with first hand experience. I would like to plant some, but don't know much about it, or even if its New England hardy. It seems a hardy plant. I buy it to make wreaths, but recently thought I should try to grow it myself.

Would love to hear from anyone with experience with this plant. I did a search and didn't come up with much.

Thank you in advance.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I don't grow statice, but I know that sea lavender is a perennial statice that grows wild on the tidal flats on the NH and MA seacoast so should be hardy for you.

I found a link that says German statice is hardy to zone 4, so that also should be hardy. I don't know anything about this seed company, but garden watchdog might have some information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limonium

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lauramg8

I grew german statice,Limonium tataricum, in my nursery years ago. I wish I knew you then-nobody bought it although its really beautiful! It overwintered in pots in zone 6b above the ground. I think it should be used more in planters etc... It looks great throughout the season and is light and textural at the same time. In the ground, I had no problems in full sun to part shade. I would think it would not like wet soil but recently, I saw sea statice,Limonium latifolium,growing in a wet sand bog-albeit in sand at the edge-but still! Both Limoniums are incredibly drought tolerant.There are several other species,some crosses and named varieties that look interesting as well.You might want to look into some of the others for dried arrangements too. I was able to divide the German statice repeatedly. I think some lived in two gallon containers for around 8 years before they finally had it. Limonium sinuatum is sometimes found in annual packs in spring. I never had much luck getting it to flower in the ground but Im curious to see if it will do well in pots. Its perennial in mild climates and could join my family of "haulers" -or pots of "annuals"(tender perennials) that I haul into the basement every winter. Now that you have reminded me-I think Im going to search german statice out again-it would look great with the sedums that I have had living in some large planters for years-I think they could duke it out without a problem-and without any watering too!

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Thoughts on another NE Plant Swap...
Hi - will there be another NE plant swap this year?...
Mizzteek Z6 MA
Rabbit question
If I have a raised garden bed that is 28 inches high,...
dwyerkg
Landscape Design Council Awards at Boston Flower & Garden Show
I received a press release from Frances Wheeler regarding...
bostongardens
Starting PEAS
A few of my beds have thawed enough that I can work...
persimmons
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Sponsored Products
Spectra 2.0 Blue 29" Eight-Wheel Travel Case
$380.00 | Horchow
Border Concepts Terra Cotta German Rolled Rim Planter - 836429
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Alpha Safari Bronze Amazon Mini Pendant
$266.00 | Bellacor
Grohe Bridgeford Lavatory Wideset - Infinity Brushed Nickel
Modern Bathroom
Mono Oval - Stainless Steel 5-Piece Set - Mono
$340.00 | HORNE