Hibiscus from Idabean's Swap

terrene(5b MA)September 10, 2013

A couple years ago Idabean had a spring swap and Thyme2dig gave me a Hibiscus seedling. IIRC Thyme said it was a seedling from a mother plant that was Hibiscus syriacus with white flowers and a pink eye. Well, this year, it finally bloomed - I was anticipating a lovely pink or white and lo and behold - it's red! Striking, but doesn't fit the color scheme in the Front garden so I think it's going to be moved to the Xeric garden.

Is this actually Hibiscus syriacus i.e. Rose of Sharon? The leaves are not typical of Hibiscus moscheutos. Is H. syriacus drought tolerant? Here's a pic of the flower -

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

It looks a lot like my "Lord Baltimore", in flower color as well as flower form and leaf shape. Of course being a seedling there could be considerable variation from the parent. Definitely not a 'Rose of Sharon' though. Leaf is all wrong for that.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 12:45PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Terrene, that is crazy! I must have mixed up the seeds! I'm sorry it's not what you were expecting, but glad you can use it elsewhere.

This is the one I would have expected it to be.

I'm not starting them from seed anymore, but if I get any seedlings I can pot one up for you. This ROS is about 12' in height and the flowers change from fully double to single as they age on the shrub. This pic is an in-between flower.

This shrub is planted on a terrace below the split-rail fence and adds to the garden from below from the driveway and above from the backyard.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 8:49PM
terrene(5b MA)

Wow that is a gorgeous specimen Thyme, and that is what I had envisioned. Any time we meet up at another swap I would be happy to get a seedling.

But don't apologize, the red is also beautiful and it does look a lot like the Lord Baltimore that Bill mentioned. And it's fun to get a big surprise from seedlings. I'm sure it is your seedling too, since the only other Hibiscus I have is a seedling I started from some H. moscheutos seeds and it's planted in the back garden.

The front garden is mostly pinks, purples, and whites - no red at all. I'm just trying to figure out what this is and where to move it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Why Animals Do Not Touch the Compost Pile In My Backyard?
I have been doing compost in my backyard for two years....
easycity
NH Spring Plant Swap
NH Plant Swap on Sunday June 5th is only 4 weeks away...
annie_nh
What happened to the SEARCH button?
I know I have another birthday coming and my eyes are...
moliep
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Starting PEAS
A few of my beds have thawed enough that I can work...
persimmons
Sponsored Products
Resort Reversible Coverlet
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Cocktail Hibiscus Blossoms - Set of 2 Jars
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Wildwood Lamps Porcelain Brushed Nickel Accents Hibiscus Cylinder Table Lamp
$402.50 | LuxeDecor
Flower Photo 13 x 20 Pillow
$22.95 | Bellacor
Vig Furniture - Divani Casa Freesia Modern Dark Grey Fabric...
Great Furniture Deal
Tropical Hibiscus Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Hibiscus Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$601.00 | Lumens
Horizon Ivory Hibiscus Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$157.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™