Here comes frost - what to do with my baby Endless Summer?

tulipsmiles(6 South of Boston)September 21, 2010

I propagated 3 Endless summer plants this summer and they are doing well. They are currently in large, 5 gallon pots and are approximately 6 - 8" tall and about the same size wide. It doesn't look like they are woody yet.

My question is, what do I do with them as the colder weather approaches.

Do I keep them in my garage all winter?

Should I make a protection with wire and leaves around them and just keep them outside?

I really don't want to have to plant them in the ground just yet, as I'm not sure where I'll ultimately put them.

Any and all info is much appreciated!

Tulipsmiles

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB(5A/MA)

I overwintered an Endless Summer last winter in my unheated garage. I was just experimenting to see if it might bloom better (it didn't). It overwintered fine. I actually forgot about it in the spring and I brought it out a little later than I would have liked. But it leafed out just fine.

Sounds like a pretty big pot for a 6-8" plant. Make sure you do not get root rot with too much wet soil.

ALl my garage overwintered pots get packed in styrofoam peanuts to insulate the root ball somewhat.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 7:16PM
cloud_9(z5 CT)

As long as they are already in pots leave them in the garage. The flip side to not keeping them too wet - remember to water them lightly a few times over the winter.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:54AM
WendyB(5A/MA)

I use holiday milestones to try to remember to water them. If they are watered well going in (around November), I check them on New Years Day and St. Patricks Day. On St. Patricks day I will move them out of the depths of the garage close to the door so I can start acclimating them back to the real world. I will keep the garage door open when I am home.

btw, I have a window in my garage that my plants are within sight of. I am not sure if that is required for garage overwintering success.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 7:45AM
sue36(Z5 Maine)

I have successfully overwintered them in my slightly heated garage (heated to 45).

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™