Easiest way to store sweet potatoe vine tubers?

cat_delgado(6 - Ansonia, CT)September 30, 2011

I have some margarite sweet potatoe vines that I love and don't want to have to hunt them down again next year ( it was harder than I thought to find them this spring) what is the best way to store the potatoe vine tubers? I had just planned on digging up the potatoes, laying them on some newspaper to dry out a little and then storing them in my basement until april of next year, any feedback is great becuase I've never done this before :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cloud_9(z5 CT)

I would store them as you would dahlias. There are a number of ways, but I like the saran wrap way. Just do as you were going to, but wrap in plastic before storing. I used to put mine in a cooler to store them. Protects them from any critters as well as moderating any temperature fluctuations.

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 10:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Glad you mentioned critters -I tried storing SPV plants over the winter in the big clay pots I'd grown them. Put them in in my open garage (it's very old, and the doors slide, but are not tight when closed). It turns out the tubers are very attractive to animals; they were all dug out of their pots - and gone - when I checked them a few months later. A cooler would probably not have fared too well, but a steel trash can might have done the trick.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™