Current & recent bloomers

tucker_sp(Z4 MN)April 20, 2008

Greetings, fellow orchid lovers -

I have not been able, because of the old "circumstances beyond my control" to spend as much time on Gardenweb or, indeed, with my plants as I would like lately. Still, I have some things blooming that might interest you. The first three are growing with the philodendron, etc., in the kitchen window, and are shown below:

First, Dendrobium sulcatum:

Second, Lycaste cochleata:

And third, Dendrobium bellatulum - one of the truly ugly orchid plants - the pseudobulbs look like they were regurgitated by an owl - but the flowers are beautiful:

Nice to come in for breakfast and see them in the morning light. The next two are of Oncidium auriferum. There's nothing really exceptional about it - large numbers (about 80) of small, bright yellow, nicely fragrant flowers. The thing is that I've never seen an actual picture of it anywhere.

Whole inflorescence:

Closeup (difficult because the flowers are packed so closely together):

Dendrobium rhodostictum - these flowers opened in late October, so they won't last much longer:

Next, one of my two monster Phaius tancarvilleae (sp.?) plants in front of the living room fireplace. Too many pictures & tchotchkes on the mantel for a good picture:

Phaius closeup:

Finally, Oerstedella calageria - the flowers are no bigger than 1 cm, but it makes up for that by producing lots of them. 1 of 3 inflorescences:

And a closeup:

I hope that a few pictures of orchids not seen on this forum very often will be enjoyed - I certainly enjoy growing them and seeing them in my house.

Tucker

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Beautiful! Great growing is evident - I am a huge fan of those nigrohirsute dends - your bellatulum is gorgeous....and that Oerstedella is really cute! How tall does the plant get? Thanks for sharing!

Bookmark   April 20, 2008 at 10:51PM
picotee_sofl(Z10)

Wonderful, Tucker. Too bad you aren't here more often to share more of your less often seen bloomers. Especially like the dends (owl regurgitation? That's a hoot! LOL) The oerstedella is very cool, too. Good growing!

Marci

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 7:26AM
sambac(z10fl)

Your Dend are way too cool! Love the Oerstedella - what a lovley shape!

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 8:09AM
Charm(Z8 TX)

Good growing!~Charm

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Id for this Paph please
I bought this at a silent auction basically as a NOID....
orchidnick
Tollumnias
Tollumnias deserve a home too. There are enough around,...
orchidnick
Dendrobium teretifolium
A plant that is well adapted to its growing spot. A...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Fredclarkeara After Dark 'Sunet Valley Orchids'
This is the first time this orchid has bloomed for...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Ascocentrum miniatum
above is one for trade below is the mother plant in...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™