Cattleyopsis cubensis

xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)May 17, 2009

Here's a funny little orchid - Jay's site says this Cuban orchid is "very rare and endangered". It's pretty cute and the leaves are finely serrated which is the first I've ever seen in an orchid. I'm not sure how I feel about the flowers - they don't open fully and aren't very remarkable.

And a close up of the flower:

CJ - are you still looking for pollen for this one?

Oh and this guy is flowering *again* and it looks like another sheath is on it's way. Dend Peng Seng (tobaense x cruentum) is quickly becoming one of my favorites

-Calvin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sambac(z10fl)

I like the cattleyopsis- way too cool!! Never seen before

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 9:55AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Actually, I rather like it. But then again, I seem to have a thing for clusters of little flowers. I suppose it's part of the reason I don't grow the floofy catts. (The other being the certainty I don't have enough light.) One of my favs is Pleurothallis alata, and the flowers on that one are smaller than a housefly. Being almost constantly in bloom doesn't hurt either : )

I think I'm really going to have to get myself one of those Dends. That green and orange combo is really eyecatching. Is it a compact grower? Does it prefer being in your tank, or can it be grown in your avg room? And lastly, does it need lots of light to bloom?

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 12:33AM
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Thanks guys! Q - I am a HUGE fan of the orange+green for sure. It is a very compact grower (canes reach about 8-10" tall max). I do have it in my tank, but the humidity in there isn't very high. Light is quite high, but I am curious whether it can do with lower light, as I have successfully burned one of this hybrid's parents (dend tobaense) when I made the assumption that it could handle the same amount of light as it's hybrid child, although there's a chance that it was grown in less bright conditions previously and wasn't given a chance to adapt.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 5:31PM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

Calvin, thanks for the pollen offer. My plant doesn't bloom until mid-winter and I am not sure it will last until then.

Nicely grown!

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 10:34AM
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Okay no worries - I can store some at 4C if you're interested, just let me know :)

I've changed my mind about this plant - all it's flowers are now open and it smells amazing! Very similar to hyacinths. I'm going to shoot Jay an e-mail, because IOSPE lists this one as being fragrance-less.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 12:24PM
Charm(Z8 TX)

A beauty!~Charm

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 7:50PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

That is absolutely adorable! I must look for this plant. I need it.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 28, 2009 at 5:31AM
raphael_toronto

Thanks for posting this Calvin! I have one also and it's throwing multiple spikes! Can't wait! One of my Ab Fav!

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 1:30PM
carolinn_on(z3 Northern Ontario)

Wish I had seen this one while in Cuba! It's a gorgeous little gem.

Carol

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 2:16PM
More Discussions
Paphiopedilum Weltz World 'Statuesque' x Rolling Thunder 'Pizzaz'
Here is another unnamed paphiopedilum hybrid. This...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Fredclarkeara After Dark 'Sunet Valley Orchids'
This is the first time this orchid has bloomed for...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
No name Noblie type Dendrobium
I made up a name. An old lady with a huge collection...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Dendrobium Spring Bird 'Kurashiki'
I bought this one in bud... lovely and cheaper than...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™