Overwintering Datura

garlicgoddess(Z8 Seattle)November 16, 2008

I received a nice Datura from a friend this summer, I know they are typically treated as annuals in zone 8; however mine is in a pot so I thought i would try to overwinter it. Has anyone done this or have any advice? I also have some nice seed pods that I may try to winter sow. Any thoughts or experience with that would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

Cheryl

NE Seattle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Daturas are treated as annuals because they are! But like some other true annuals they can be coddled into staying alive over winter but most who have tried this report less than optimum growth or flowering the second season. It may be good to try them from seed as a backup, just in case. OTOH, brugmansias are woody tropical shrubs and can be overwintered quite well, either as a houseplant (often are plagued by spider mites in this situation), forced into dormancy and kept in a cool dark location, or by taking cuttings, which root very easily.

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 10:05PM
hemnancy(z8 PNW)

I have a Datura I kept in my cold but non-freezing garage one winter. It bloomed the next year. Last winter I planted it in the ground to see what would happen. I thought it didn't make it but in late summer a shoot came up, but it only got 9" tall and didn't bloom, so it did better the first winter. I haven't grown them from seed.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 3:31AM
greenelephant(Woodinville WA)

I have had good success overwintering datura in the ground and in the garage. The root is like a big white carrot storing carbohydrates. The top dies back and a rough callous forms on stub. As it warms up in the spring the callous erupts into multiple new sprouts.

If you give it lots of hot sun it will come back much bigger the second year. I had one in Tacoma that got huge the second year and had 20 new flowers every evening in the warmest part of July/August.

Yours in the pot will do fine in an unheated garage. Don't let it freeze, and treat it like a potato in storage--dark, cool, humid but no watering. Watch for the new growth in March/April. You can give it a jump start in a warm south window or a greenhouse before putting back outside.

Best Luck,

Jim

Bookmark   November 26, 2008 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
Does soil "wear out"?
I have two gardening friends who don't know each other...
dottyinduncan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™