Dendrobium Dawn Maree

xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)May 21, 2008

A primary cross between cruentum and formosum, and my first nigrohirsute/formosae dendrobium to successfully rebloom (cheer)!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

Very pretty! Is it fragrant?

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 3:06PM
picotee_sofl(Z10)

A very attractive flower. Congrats on the rebloom!

Marci

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 3:32PM
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Thanks everyone :) Granniek - no fragrant I can detect yet but I'll keep sniffing :)

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 12:34AM
jane__ny(9-10)

I love it. Where did you get it?

That is really pretty.

Jane

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 1:04AM

Jane - I got it from a local vendor at our orchid show. But I know that H&R orchids from Hawaii sells a lot of formosae type dends (I just got a couple from them myself :))

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 4:56PM
olyagrove(z9 Tampa, FL)

Lovely flower
Olya

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 8:21PM
charlesb

Very nice.
Charles B.

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 10:55PM
jank(US10)

Nice!!!
Never tried a "hairy" one.
How different is the culture from non-hairy growers??
Jan

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 11:53AM

Hi Jan! I mainly only grow hairy ones, and I haven't had them that long so I don't have that many cultural tips, but thy seem to be pretty easy so far - I think they should be kept a little more moist during the growing season, and some benefit from a dry rest in winter.

Grannie - I detected a faint fragrance today - very refreshing and crisp.

Bookmark   May 24, 2008 at 9:23PM
whitecat8(z4 MN)

Calvin, nice plant and flowers. Congrats.

I've got the Den Green Lantern (Dawn Maree x cruentum). This is one time that the species look just as lovely as the hybrid.

Den Green Lantern -

Whitecat8

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 4:45AM

WC your green lantern is absolutely stunning! WOW! The texturing on the lip from the cruentum really becomes stronger compared to Dawn Maree - How do you grow yours?

Bookmark   May 25, 2008 at 10:49AM
whitecat8(z4 MN)

Calvin, thanks for the kind remarks.

As for growing, I haven't rebloomed it yet. In March, 2007, I bought it in bloom. During the summer, it was outside in E/SE light, cut 50% by the lathe house. Temps were MN summer temps, but I kept overhead rain off.

It's in medium bark w/ sphag on top to keep it from drying out too quickly. On 12/1/07, I stopped watering, resuming watering 2/2/08. Since it came inside last fall, it's been in the cooler living room, which had winter temps from 58-65F when the sun wasn't out (which was a lot); 58-75F when it was.

Very low humidity, E/SE light - double sliding glass doors, and 2 octopus lamps w/ 26W CFLs.

So far this spring, all it's done is drop a leaf and have 2 others turn brown at the tips.

How are you growing yours?

Whitecat8

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 2:54AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

More orange and white. Can't beat it. Very nice.

Kevin

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 6:25AM

WC - Mine is in bark, and I've got it in full morning sun in a south facing window right now. It's potted in bark, and I'm watering once a week (I probably should water more but I don't go home often enough) and it's showing lots of active root growth although no new growths. I'm a little apprehensive about the winter rest, so it will definitely take some experimentation. Hope yours reblooms for you! Seeing those fat white buds swell and open up with such a magnificent splash color is a real treat.

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 10:29AM
whitecat8(z4 MN)

Calvin, thanks for sharing your conditions. I repotted mine last night, again in medium bark mix in a plastic pot that's small for the size of the plant. In the winter, the most light I can give it is E/SE w/ 26W CFLs.

For almost all the Dens that needed a winter rest, I cut off water during December and January. The Den unicum went longer because buds hadn't gotten large enough by February. Den moniliformes are on a different schedule altogether.

This was my first winter giving Dens a rest, although Cycs and Catasetae have been bone dry during earlier winters. I kept telling myself that watering the Dens would be going against nature.

If my Green Lantern doesn't bloom this year, then maybe next year. They do teach patience.

Whitecat8

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Lc Trick ot Treat Hobgoblin HCC/AOS
A perennial favorite, must have enjoyed this plant's...
orchidnick
P"leurothallis Bev Debrincant (teagui x gargantua)
This is a hybrid of a cold grower and a warm grower....
orchidnick
Dendrobium anceps
A hot to cold grower found in Assam, Bangladesh, eastern...
orchidnick
Phaius 'Chariot of Dire'
Don't know the parentage but looks like it has great...
orchidnick
Maxillaria richii
This is another of Andy's $7 divisions. The flower...
Greencurls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™