hostas coming back in N. Calif.

gardenlynne(9)November 17, 2012

Hello gardeners - though I have gardened for 20 years, I am new to hostas and this forum. (I have had a very gracious person get me this far). I am in N. Calif, the Fairfield area. I purchased 12 hostas in 2010, and had 9 come up in 2011. We had a very mild winter in 2011. The ones that didn't come up are First Frost, Mouse Ears and Great Expectations (ironic). I am going to avoid these three, but do want to get more hostas. My June was perfect, and Krossa's Regal, Tokudama and Halcycon near perfect. I had a Lakeside Midnight Miss that was in too much sun, looking cooked and bedragled. I move her into a pot in shade and she ended up a ruffled beauty. So - after all this rambling - I guess I'm wondering if others have this problem with mild winters, and if putting the hostas in pots makes a difference. Thank you - have a great Thanksgiving

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Welcome GardenLynne! I'm down in Sunnyvale, next to San Jose. I do all mine in pots and they all come back. (Well maybe I lose one once in awhile). You probably get colder than I do, and much hotter too, so they might just do fine in the ground, as long as you don't mind staring at bare dirt all Winter and can diligently fight off the snails/slugs/mites. If they don't come up in Spring, dig them up to see if something killed the roots (critters or rot). Blue Mouse Ears and First Frost should've returned. GE can sometimes be a problem child for people no matter where they live.

-Babka

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 11:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bkay2000

HI Lynne,

I grow in pots because it's easy. I rarely lose one. I have some really nice ones. It seems many successful hosta gardeners here grow in raised beds of one sort or another or in pots.

Welcome. Let us know how we can help.

bkay

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
We have bullets n numbers!
I love this feature! These will come in handy...especially...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
what do you plant in
This is my newest planted my husband buffed and painted...
almosthooked
New arrivals
It dawned mild and sunny here in Wales today. The postman...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
New pictures
For anyone interested in going over to Hallsons gardens...
almosthooked
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™