Naturalizing Wild Tulips

evonnestoryteller(5-6)September 5, 2009

I just purchased many wild tulip bulbs. I am reading they do best naturalized and are about the size of crocus. Can they be naturalized into a lawn? I would want to make sure that the greeery part would be done by the time to spring mow comes around.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/FallFlowerBulbs/TulipFlowerbulbs/NewWildflowerTulipMixture.aspx

I did not purchase them from the link above, but it gives a good write up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I put mine in my sloped perennial/rock garden inbetween or among later blooming flowers. That way I don't have to worry about leaving grass uncut for bulbs to ripen or the small tulips not showing above the grass. Many of the so-called wild or species tulips are fairly small with short stems, so are easily "lost" in the grass.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 1:09PM
diggingthedirt

I've also used them in woodland gardens - mixed beds that are partly shady. They're more likely to perennialize than "regular" tulips, but I still find that they don't actually naturalize, which to me means "spread." They're short-lived bulbs in my garden, but that may be because I haven't treated them especially well.

I believe that, like other tulips, they like to be quite dry in summer. That's OK if you don't water your lawn. I do think that to get a good show from them, you'd want to put them somewhere where you can provide exactly what makes them happy.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 4:30PM
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

Thanks for the responses. I have to think about where to plant them. I may try a few here and there to see where they do best.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
Cold or not, it's THAT time of year again!
The infamous Philadelphia International Flower Show is...
hunt4carl
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™