Naturalizing Wild Tulips

evonnestoryteller(5-6)September 5, 2009

I just purchased many wild tulip bulbs. I am reading they do best naturalized and are about the size of crocus. Can they be naturalized into a lawn? I would want to make sure that the greeery part would be done by the time to spring mow comes around.

http://www.americanmeadows.com/FallFlowerBulbs/TulipFlowerbulbs/NewWildflowerTulipMixture.aspx

I did not purchase them from the link above, but it gives a good write up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I put mine in my sloped perennial/rock garden inbetween or among later blooming flowers. That way I don't have to worry about leaving grass uncut for bulbs to ripen or the small tulips not showing above the grass. Many of the so-called wild or species tulips are fairly small with short stems, so are easily "lost" in the grass.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 1:09PM
diggingthedirt

I've also used them in woodland gardens - mixed beds that are partly shady. They're more likely to perennialize than "regular" tulips, but I still find that they don't actually naturalize, which to me means "spread." They're short-lived bulbs in my garden, but that may be because I haven't treated them especially well.

I believe that, like other tulips, they like to be quite dry in summer. That's OK if you don't water your lawn. I do think that to get a good show from them, you'd want to put them somewhere where you can provide exactly what makes them happy.

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 4:30PM
evonnestoryteller(5-6)

Thanks for the responses. I have to think about where to plant them. I may try a few here and there to see where they do best.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops
Yes, I know you think they're just cute little white...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Historic winter of 2014-2015---Damage report
I thought we could start a thread to outline the casualties...
rockman50
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™