NOID Miltoniopsis

tucker_sp(Z4 MN)May 3, 2013

The lettering is worn off of the tag - the only word I can make out is "Avalanche." Still, it's a lovely flower, with a powerful fragrance that I think is really nice, but difficult to describe - a combination of sweet, citrus, herbal, and spicy.

Tucker

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inga007(Ont. 6a)

I love "milties" I call them "pansy-faces". This one is very attractive.

Bookmark   December 2, 0002 at 12:07AM
inga007(Ont. 6a)

inga007(Ont. 6a)

arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

There is an orchid registered as Miltoniopsis Avalanch (without the e) by the RHS.
Lovely flower, pity they are difficult to grow in some climates.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 4:27PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Love the color and shape. I haven't had any luck keeping them alive for more than a year. I've given up, even though my heart skips a beat each time I see a well grown plant. Such a delicate color, great growing.

Please share how you grow this.

Jane

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 3:11PM
ianbrazil(11)

There are several things I don't like about Miltoniopsis.
1. So many are sold as NOIDS.
2. They look so artificial.
3. They are called "Pansy" orchid. Well, pansies are a lot easier!

The best one I had was a species called roezlii. It had small white flowers and wasn't all that spectacular but at least it lived for a few years. - Ian

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 9:13AM
avondale88(8)

I live in Alabama and I find miltoniopsis very easy to grow. I grow them under lights in white pots that are designed for cool growing orchids. I water every three days and I'm rewarded with beautiful. I found the secret to growing these is to not use a chemical fertilizer on these plants. I fertilize my plants monthly with an organic fertilizer. I feed them with just a small amount of fertilizer that I add to the water. Since their roots are fine, I found that even a small trace of a chemical fertilizer will produce rooten new growths. My plants really took off when I switched them to the cool growing pots. I always use an organic fertilizer that is mostly water with a small trace of fertilizer. I have plants that are the size of mini cymbidiums. My plants are grown under lights in an air conditioned house. I also have a Vicks vaporizer in the room (got it cheap at Wal Mart) and I have the ceiling fan on all the time for air movement. It took me thirty years to figure out how to grow these plants. I shudder at the amount of money I spent at Orchid Shows, buying these plants, to have them die a couple of months later. My oldest plant that I have now is five years old. Milts are my favorite orchid and I'm glad that I was persistent and never gave up on growing them.

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Paphiopedilum Morning Dew
So the tag says Paphiopedilum Crazy Horse' Understatement'...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Vanda Mellow Days
I bought this plant from Martin Motes in 1998. I have...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Dendrobium banana royal
A primary cross of Den. canaliculatum and Den. Liholho....
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Coelogyne cristata fina hololeuca ‘Pure white’
This is a famous one as it won 'Best of Show' at the...
orchidnick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™