Identification of white growth on garden plants

Pat1010September 28, 2012

There is a whitish pest growing on peonies, lilac and phlox. I think it must be some kind of mould or fungus. Does anyone know what it is, or how I can get rid of it?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Pat, it's called 'powdery mildew' and it's a type of fungus. It's also very common on lilacs, roses and more. Usually if your plants get a lot of sun and warmth with good air circulation, it will help to prevent it. When conditions are humid and plants get shade, or when the leaves stay wet overnight, etc. it is more likely to appear. That's why it's best not to water in the evening, especially now that it's getting dark earlier and nights are cooler.

It generally doesn't kill the plant, although it looks unsightly. It can weaken plants though, and make them more susceptible to other, more serious diseases.

You can search online for treatment, but generally a mix of neem oil (available at most garden centers) or even canola oil with a little dish detergent is sprayed on the plants. Best to do this on a cloudy day in the morning, not in bright sun.

So anyway now that you know what it is, you can also look online for more information. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 5:47AM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Another thing that may help for next year is really good sanitation this fall. Remove all the old leaves from your perennials after frost and if you have mulch under plants, remove the surface layer of that. If you don't you might consider adding a thin layer next spring since many funguses get onto leaves by splashing up from dirt when it rains.

As Bill said, good watering and air circulation is important. Some plants are more susceptible to PM than others, so in the future you can check on whether a particular variety is likely to be resistant before you buy.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 9:48AM
diggingthedirt

I agree that it's powdery mildew, but have 1 thing to add.

I've read (and observed, more to the point) that it's most common in drought-stressed plants, so during the growing season thorough, deep watering is essential to keep it at bay.

UMass has a fact sheet about it - it seems a little thin to me, but I'll attach the link. There may be a better one at one of the arboretum sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: UMass extension fact sheet

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Ferjulian's, Brigham Nursery, & Gerards's
Ferjulian in Hudson, MA I discovered this nice hidden...
mrtulin
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™