Moving Blackberry Canes

sailfish(Boston, North)September 6, 2010

We have some Blackberry canes everybody seems to enjoy including a bear or two. I'm interested in moving some of them. When is the best time to move them? Spring or Fall? Whats the best way to do this? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Hi sailfish. I love the taste of Blackberries and they are very nutritious. I did a consult with a landscape architect at one point and asked about planting blackberries. I have a small 1/4 acre property and there were no blackberries on our property. Since I had other plans for a garden too, he suggested, that if I wanted to grow blackberries and keep them from taking over the entire property, that he recommended in all seriousness, that I dig down three feet around a planting area of blackberries and pour concrete surrounding them. I have no experience growing them, but this advice stuck with me and I would be reluctant to plant them unless I moved and had a much larger property and could let them grow at will in an unused corner. Since you already have blackberries, I would just be careful about moving them to another location. I hope you will get more input from someone who has had experience growing them.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
How to contact the new GardenWeb
On the right side of the main New England Gardening...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™