Re-using water

victoriannoire(7b)December 3, 2009

Greetings all!

my boyfriend recently acquired a huge 170 gallon fish tank, for which he will have to do 1/4 water changes every week...

i know that if you use water that you boil potatoes in to water your plants that the extra nutrient residue in the water will help your plants out in between feedings...if i use the water from his fish tank would it do the same thing? i have been reading a lot of info about fish soil and fish meals, so iw as just kind of curious....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

If it's a fresh water tank, it's fine. In fact, it will be good.

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 6:53PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

When I had aquariums I used to use the water for my houseplants. I only used what they needed. They thrived.
Changing 1/4 of the water, 42.5 gal. weekly, seems excessive. He may have a chlorine issue.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 10:40AM
victoriannoire(7b)

Well he doesnt have anything in it right now...its empty sitting on my living room floor (sarcastic yeah!) but thats what was suggested to him. glad to hear we can put that water to good use though!

Bookmark   December 5, 2009 at 8:53PM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

Quarter water changes weekly is the general recommendation. Not at all excessive.

Freshwater aquarium water is great for plants, depending on what chemicals he uses in it. If he's raising cichlids or something that wants really alkaline water that may not be good. Any time the water is medicated would not be good. Small amounts of salt are ok. I add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of salt to my goldfish tank, as few fish want totally salt-free water, and I still dump the water changes on the rhodies out front.

Fish poop is fertilizer after all.

Bookmark   December 6, 2009 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
charleney
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™