more on coffee grounds

stan6January 19, 2009

I am still collecting UCG from Starbucks. The bag says use the grounds within 2-3 weeks. I had planned to use them next spring, some directly on my lawn and some in my compost heap. Does UCG lose its "potency" over several weeks or months?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

They might lose a little N, but I think the bigger concern is that they might start to decompose anaerobically (and smell bad) or mold. If you don't dry them before storing them, they'll probably be pretty badly clumped, so they'll be harder to spread on the lawn.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 12:11AM
rcnaylor(z7 Tex)

I stored mine in a big plastic trash can with plastic lid. Just like BP suggests, they molded and got dry and hard/clumpy.

I don't think it much affected the potency. Organic matter is organic matter.

I quit using them because here in my semi-arid climate they made my soil water repellant. Not helpful. And, while they were free, the time and gas I spent running around to collect them probably cost as much as organic matter I could buy in bulk (especially when my time was factored in).

For those who can get them in one easy stop and/or enjoy investing the time and effort to gather them up little by little, and who live in wetter areas, they are one of the fine choices for adding organic matter. Also, those wanting to reduce waste going to dumps that doesn't have to can feel good about contributing in a small way to that.

Organic matter is good. But, coffee grounds are simply another organic matter source, not magic.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 9:27AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If they get infested with bugs then you might lose some strength from the coffee itself, but you will still have to bugs to fertilize with.

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
So how out of touch are we????
Years ago, during one of those PBS marathon fundraisers,...
bossyvossy
snow mold
As the snow melted this spring snow mold appeared on...
kimmq
Planting Clover Stolons (or Any Stolons Really)
Has anyone ever tried to transplant clover or a stoloniferous...
CPTK
High % OM & Compaction/Hydrotropic
My front & back lawn have been 100% organic for...
sc77
Sponsored Products
Robert Abbey 22 3/4" Taupe Ceramic and Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Artsy Clock
$218.99 | Dot & Bo
Zavalla Rainbow 26-inch Floor Pillow
Overstock.com
"Crosby" Chest
$899.00 | Horchow
Lamp International | Giroutte Floor Lamp Li2090
YLighting