Will hostas come back?

esther_bDecember 2, 2012

Half the time you can't get our co-op landscape guys to do what is really necessary in the yard. Now they've gotten the raking-up-leaves bug and raked the leaves out of the circular 6" high fence surrounding my little hosta garden. The ground is now clean of leaves--and some of my hosta markers, the morons. There were still semi-alive leaves of Cherish and other hostas under the leaves. Now they are not to be seen. Do you think their underground roots will sprout again come spring? I am astonished to see my Marmalade heuchera still in perfect shape and alyssum still blooming at this date in the same garden. Crazy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

mine die to the ground every year.. just like everyone elses..

so presuming they did not disturb the crowns/roots ..

you have nothing to fear ...

ken

ps: but fear itself ...

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 4:47PM
bernd ny zone5

I always remove all dead hosta leaves for winter, and they always come up in spring. I have a very large blue hosta with exposed crown, I cover that with some mulch, and it always comes up in spring. NYC is zone 7 I believe, 220 miles up the Hudson is zone 5 and no problems with hostas in -20 degrees.
Bernd

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 5:08PM
gogirlterri(5 IL)

Find things heavy and low to paint the hostas names on Esther, and a childs bow and arrow with suction cups. The markers wont rake. Then when those co-opers move them shoot them in the behind. You'd asked your question so seriously that hope visualizing yourself with little bow in hand is making you laugh. It is me!
Wouldn't that make a cool t-shirt? A picture on the front of a woman with a toy bow and arrow and Minnie Ha-Ha under it.
In the spring you will know exactly where to look when your hostas break ground, and they will.
Theresa

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
When To Re-pot?
When is the correct time to up-pot a hosta? Is it when...
santamiller
Hosta Fragrants 2014
I am having computer problems today so I am on my laptop....
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
What have we ordered?
So far I have gotten a few new ones. What have you...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Anyone wanna do Leaf shots? Hosta 'Dream Queen'
Who needs slo-poke 'Thunderbolt'? fwiw, hh
hostahillbilly
Seedling pics?
Decided to grow some seedlings this winter. Have to...
BungalowMonkeys
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™