Coffee Grounds in Winter

mpcartJanuary 11, 2012

Is there any benefit to spreading used coffee grounds on the lawn in winter or should I save them and spread them when the lawn is no longer dormant?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nevermore44 - 6a

I would assume there wouldn't be any negative in using it now in the winter, unless you are on a slope where it could wash away. Stockpiling it all will enable it to go moldy.

I collected UCG from starbucks all winter a few years back and just spread them on the lawn... even spreading them on the snow some days (makes it melt faster). It was a decent amount by the end, but it disappeared quickly in the spring. I was able to get about enough to fill two 5-gallon buckets each week.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 3:38PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

That depends on where you are. In northern areas where the soil temperatures drop below 32 degrees F spreading organic material like coffee grounds will have little winter benefit because the Soil Food Web is hibernating, inactive, not doing anything. Down south, if soil tempsratures are above the mid 40's the Soil Food Web could be active enough to work on things like coffee grounds and digest them.
Later, after soils warm enough for the SFW to function, any organic matter spread during the winter will be digested and by the now active bactgeria, fungi, and etc. in the soil.

Bookmark   January 12, 2012 at 8:02AM
mpcart

"Later, after soils warm enough for the SFW to function, any organic matter spread during the winter will be digested and by the now active bactgeria, fungi, and etc. in the soil. "

That's what I was looking for. I didn't know if, when the weather warms, the grounds spread during the winter would provide a benefit or if they would somehow "disappear" during the winter. I'm located in IL, zone 6a.

Thanks.

Bookmark   January 13, 2012 at 2:57PM
magoo1(7)

Would I gain anything by spraying the left over coffee we have every morning on my yard? It just goes down the drain.....Since I'm saving the grounds.......seems logical.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 2:41PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

magoo1, the benefit from coffee grounds comes from the protein in the coffee beans. There is no protein in the coffee beverage, so the value would be minimal.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 9:23PM
ssmdgardener(7)

Magoo, from what I understand, coffee itself is highly acidic, whereas coffee grounds are closer to neutral.

The acid in the coffee is probably not good for your lawn.

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 11:43PM
Nevermore44 - 6a

You could always just pour it on the compost pile if you don't want to waste a drop down the drain.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 12:29PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

There have been a large number of people that have reported seeing better plant growth when they have used the coffee, or tea, they did not finish drinking to water the potted house plants they had. Unless you will be pouring out hundreds of gallons of coffee what you pour on your yard, or garden, will have such negligable affect that it will be neither beneficial or harmful. Even one full cup of coffee poured onto your yard would not significantly affect your soils pH enough to be concerned about.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 6:17AM
More Discussions
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
overseeding help !
Hi All, I have a 5000 sft lawn with tall fescue, in...
gmanar
beneficial nematodes for grubs and cool weather
andyx123
Timothy vs Alfalfa
I mistakenly applied Timothy pellets to my lawn instead...
rachel67
Increasing height of celebration bermuda
Our lawn was sodded with bermuda celebration a bit...
trussin.22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™