Azalia struggling unter tree

singleton165(z5 NH Seacoast)October 31, 2010

My friend has an azalia that is struggling under a small tree. Should we cut the tree down now, or wait until spring? I figured the tree may be protecting it a bit for the winter.

Thanks,

Tara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

Why not move the azalea? It's unusual to cut down a tree to save a shrub.

I don't think you should do anything until you determine the problem. Azaleas like really acidic soil. They also have a shallow root system so they are going to have trouble in soil that is shallow and not very fertile. If the tree is a rather aggressive species, the tree roots may be outcompeting the azalea roots. If the tree has a rather thick canopy, it may be too dry underneath the tree for the azalea to thrive.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 9:15PM
singleton165(z5 NH Seacoast)

Thanks. I believe the tree is a volunteer, and is blocking the view from the deck (so is a nuisance). I will cut it down in the spring and put some compost around the azalea. It's a small yard anyway and doesn't need that tree, however it got there.

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 7:25PM
WendyB(5A/MA)

fwiw, I had trouble with azaleas this year, presumably drought related. 3 of 5 of them really did poorly. They never really flushed out much if any new growth and struggled all season. One I had to pull it was so bad. Maybe the other two will come back next year, as will the one you posted about.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 10:55AM
EGO45(6bCT)

Azaleas (and rhododendrons) being grown in pots in peat based medium need their roots to be well disturbed (or better to be washed out of peat completely) before planting. Otherwise they'll strugle for years and may eventualy die.

Bookmark   November 5, 2010 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Deer resistant evergreen shrub
Was wondering if you have any suggestions for an evergreen...
BloominOnion
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™