Best Time to Move Volunteer Trees, Halloween or Thanksgiving?

edlincoln(6A)October 28, 2013

I just noticed a bunch of baby Rose of Sharon inexplicably growing in shade behind a hedge. They appear to be runners from a Rose of Sharon we planted. There is also an unidentified volunteer deciduous tree that may or may not be a Rose of Sharon. They still have leaves. There is also a volunteer Eastern Red Cedar. This is at my Mom's house.

1.) When would be the best time to move them? Thursday or Thanksgiving? Those are the two times I would have time to get down there and move them.
2.) When I dig them up it will leave a hole near the foundation. What do I fill the hole with to avoid creating basement leak problems? I have potting soil, gravel and sand.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

My gut feeling is Easter. The red cedar probably doesn't care, so long as they are fairly small. Rose of Sharons are capable of freaking out given a hard winter, and may not like the idea of being moved in fall.

Bookmark   October 28, 2013 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Philadelphia Flower Show, 2015
Good news! The Philadelphia Flower Show is NOT dead....
hunt4carl
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™