Am I screwed? I overseeded last week

dwyerkg(6 massachusetts)October 8, 2013

Hi I live next to the beach and overseeded my lawn on October 2. Is that too late? Will I get any results? I was hoping being so close to the ocean would buy me a few more weeks of growth but now I am not seeing any germination and its getting cool out.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

You're fine as long as the grass seed was viable. It can take a while for it to germinate. I would give it a few more days.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 5:34PM
dwyerkg(6 massachusetts)

Thanks, still not seeing anything pop. I used premium lesco sun and shade from home depot.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 10:11AM
gardenweed_z6a

As tree_oracle pointed out, you're probably okay so long as the seed is viable (i.e., wasn't too old to germinate). The ground doesn't normally freeze in this part of New England for several more weeks. Air temperature probably doesn't have as significant an impact on seed germination as amount of available moisture & hours of daylight.

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 6:37PM
terrene(5b MA)

IMO it is not too late at all, especially near the coast. At my previous house, one time I sowed grass seed much later in the season than early October, and it was zone 5! I remember seeing the first grass seedlings pop up over Christmas vacation - believe it or not. Apparently it was a mild fall that year, and it has been a mild fall this year too.

I was just recently thinking about overseeding the little side yard with some clover, where I've started a lawn this year. Well it's not fully established yet - IMO establishing a healthy organic lawn is a multi-year process, because it takes a few years for perennials grasses to mature (kinda like growing perennials from seed). And I just top dressed this side yard with compost the past few weeks, and so I'll probably wait until spring to overseed.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How do I add a zone to my user name?
I've been trying to edit my profile in "Your Houzz"...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Did anyone attend NEGROWS ?
With the 3 feet of snow, and of coarse the Super Bowl...
ron48
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™