Still Okay to Plant/Transplant?

ejr2005(Eastern MA)October 24, 2013

I'm in Zone 6a West of Boston. I have a few hostas I'd love to move, and a Carex oshimensis 'Evergold', Japanese Forest grass, and a Hepatica nobilis in pots that I'd like to get in the ground.

It's been beautiful warm fall weather here and is just now turning colder. I'm wondering if there's still time to plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

There's still plenty of time. You're fine.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 1:16PM
gardenweed_z6a

Ditto tree_oracle. The ground won't begin to freeze for several more weeks. They should have plenty of time to get established.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:24AM
ejr2005(Eastern MA)

Great - I'll be digging this weekend!

I always thought fall was a good time to plant, but this year a couple of daylily people told me I shouldn't plant after Labor Day.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:13PM
gardenweed_z6a

A planting 'rule of thumb' I learned here on GW with regard to perennials that bloom is as follows: if it blooms in spring, transplant it in fall; if it blooms in fall, transplant it in spring. I'm guessing the logic in that is to allow the plants the maximum amount of time to get established & avoid disturbing their bloom cycle.

"...I always thought fall was a good time to plant"

You're right--fall is a good time to plant/transplant--the cooler temps & fewer hours of daylight don't cause as much stress for the plants.

Considering daylilies can withstand a nuclear blast, I'm guessing you could move them whenever you can work the soil.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 6:26AM
More Discussions
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #4
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™