Organic Herbicides - Liquid

comkow(z6 ny)March 24, 2009

We are trying to decide whether to use Johnathan Green CGM again this year. Two years ago, we got "OK" results and last year it seems we got no reduction in weeds. Could have been the timing, off by a week or two, but it is not like we marked the calendar from prior year and every year is different with the weather.

So, I came across this site that says all natural, organic liquid herbicide. It's alot cheaper than the packaged CGM, which is all we can get here locally. Can any of you pros out there offer any feedback?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Liquid Organic Herbicide

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

That is not an herbicide. It is a herbicide additive. It is a wetting agent for chemical herbicides.

Calendars don't work as well as watching nature. Usually the forsythia blooming is a good trigger for preemergent herbicides.

I've never had any luck with any kind of preemergent. I have much better luck with infrequent watering and mowing at the mower's highest setting.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 1:40PM
comkow(z6 ny)

Thanks. After I read it more thoroughly, I realized it was an additive.

I am trying to decide if we should lay the CGM this w/e or next w/e. To be honest, there are buds on the flowering pear trees and the lilac tree, as well as new growth on the maple tree too....oh, and daffodil stems are starting to sprout too. Seems to be too cold still here in SE NY, but that is what is happening outside, believe it or not. I know I am putting way too much thought into this, right? We have no forsythia, although the neighbors do, but we can't see it from here.
Thx.

Bookmark   March 25, 2009 at 4:48PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Corn Gluten Meal, when applied correctly, is an effective preemergent "weed" control. However it does need to be applied at the right time and it will be effective for that purpose for 5 to 6 weeks. Since the research about this was done at Iowa State University that would be a good place to go to look for information about when and how to apply CGM properly and what it will do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Gluten Meal Research page

Bookmark   March 26, 2009 at 8:24AM
More Discussions
Thanks for the Great Looking Lawn! :D
Just wanted to say thanks to this group for the advice...
raymondo17
Help, switching to organic lawn
So, I aerated and reseeded my bare(dead, dying, weed...
ballerj63
PLEASE HELP - identify this weed
Hello all, I live in North Texas and just started organic...
steelerdan
Thatch Problem?
I'll be having the lawn aerated next week and I was...
nickrosesn
Basic Outline to Follow for Organic Lawn Care
I have made earlier post describing the problems I...
claga
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™